“No one can offend you without your permission.”
I heard that today on the radio listening to Neil Boortz.
We live in a world today that seems to think that there is a God-given, constitutional, moral RIGHT to never hear or see anything that offends them. It’s as if everyone has developed a case of overly sensitive ears!
I’ve read the Bible –
I’ve read the constitution –
You have NO right not to hear things you don’t like. You have no right to silence people you disagree with. And the only way you can be offended is if you decide to give your permission by taking offense.
Jesus said offensive things to people. Moses said offensive things to people. God said offensive things to people. And if you listen to enough people, you will find people today who say things that are offensive.
So what should you do?
1) You can become an offensive jerk like everyone else. – I do not recommend this but chances are someone already thinks that about you anyway.
2) You can engage in debate with the person about what they are saying. – Sometimes not possible and sometimes you don’t have the time.
3) You can ignore it. – One of my favorite methods.
4) You can listen to it and consider that what is being said might be true. – Often a good idea.
5) You can go to God and pray blessings for the person. Excellent!
6) You can go to God and ask God to show your own flaws and ask for his guidance. Again, excellent!
Remember that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience (long suffering – kjv), kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control.